This week our class discussed many topics about social classes and family cultures. I have been having a hard time trying to get all of my words put together and what I can share. One thought I had all week was, "why does it matter what 'social class' we are in?" and what determines the class each person is in? In today's world, there are many groups or types of people. Different cultures, different races, different religions. It is tough to put one person in just one category. We are all different and unique because do you not think it would be weird if everyone was the exact same? I think it would be kind of strange and not as fun...According to the general public view, people are separated in social classes depending on how much money they have, education, lineage, the way they live, mannerism, speech, and occupation etc. I remember watching a show on TLC years back, What Not to Wear. It told a story of a random person that their family nominated to the show that they thought did not dress very well, kind of poor, or had some strange habits. Throughout the show, the two main hosts would go through a process of throwing out the guests old clothes, train them how to pick out better clothes, how to act different and also changed their hair and makeup. The end results were outstanding! It was interesting to see the transformation in that person. Not just how they looked but also the confidence change they had in themselves. Probably 1 of everyone 60 or more people do not except the change. They have the choice whether to take the new look or go back to their old ways. Does it really matter what we look like?, how much money we have?, how high of a ranking we are compared to others? There can definitely be a lesson learned here. Whatever 'class' ranking you are in, we can always change and choose to live a better life, if we are motivated to and want to change. There are some people who are filthy rich, living in mansions, and driving fancy cars, but have you ever thought, "how did they get there?," "I wonder if there life was ever different." Maybe that person was raised in a small community, living in a trailer with 10 other kids, low education, or isolated from other people. Whatever situation you went through as a child, whether good or bad, rich or poor, we each have our own responsibilities to take care of ourselves and our families.
Let's talk about our roots. Where do we come from? Where do you get your personality? How were your ancestors raised? How did the environment affect you growing up? There is a commonality between all of us in some ways, but the 'culture' changes who we are. For example, in my own family, my siblings and I were raised in two completely different cultures. American and Thai(southeast Asia). Most would think since I was born and raised in America that I would be completely 100% American. Well not exactly because my mom's Thai culture had a huge influence on me too. It affected the way we talk, the way act around others, especially to our elders, and the way we eat too. Yes we use chopsticks often. I was so used to both cultures that I never could tell them apart until I spent some time in Thailand to visit and later went to serve as a missionary for the LDS church for 18 months. It all made sense! I understand more of where my roots came from. Yes I am an American but there is still an Asian influence that makes my family different, in a good way, and very unique. After being in Thailand for some time, I learned to respect other people's cultures, customs, and religion. We defined culture as a way of thinking, a "sum of attitudes, customs, beliefs that distinguish one group vs. another" (dictionary definition). It is okay to be different. It is okay to have different opinions, different religious views, different skin color, or speak a different language. We are all unique in God's eyes and that is the way He created us. Just remember that and stick to your roots.
No comments:
Post a Comment